Admissions procedures

Prairie has helped over 17,000 students learn more about their faith and prepare for life, ministry and careers around the world. We’re excited that you are interested in taking your next educational journey with us!

Admissions Procedures

  • You must be a high school graduate with a minimum final average of 60% in five senior (Grade 12) subjects, one of which must be English. The grade for English must be a minimum of 60%. If you are not enrolled in five Grade 12 subjects, course marks from relevant Grade 11 subjects may be considered. Greater weight will be placed on marks in academic subjects (social studies and math, for example) than on marks in non-academic subjects.
  • Please note that the Practical Nursing program has separate academic admissions requirements. For more information, please visit the Practical Nursing program page.
Students from other Canadian Provinces

In most Canadian provinces, grade 12 is equivalent to the Alberta Secondary School Diploma. The exceptions are:

Quebec: Successful completion of one year of CEGEP required.

Ontario: Old curriculum: Admission requires completion of the Ontario Secondary School Diploma at the grade 12 advanced level with a minimum 60% combined average in five grade 12 courses including English. Those students who have completed OAC courses may be eligible for transfer credit for certain courses.
New curriculum: Admission requires completion of the Ontario Secondary School Diploma with a minimum 60% combined average in ENG4U “English” plus four other Grade 12 U or UC courses.

Instructions for ordering transcripts can be found on these websites:

British Columbia





Newfoundland and Labrador

North West Territories


In other provinces, contact your most recently attended school.

Students from the United States
American students must have graduated from high school with a minimum of a C average. Although not required, students are encouraged to submit SAT, ACT, or CLT scores to be considered for admission.

Students in good standing at a college or university in the United States are also eligible to apply for admission and may receive transfer credits.

U.S. Citizens studying in Canada are required to obtain a student authorization. If you are a U.S. citizen, you do not need to apply at a Canadian Consulate; instead, you will obtain a Student Authorization at the Canadian port of entry (border crossing or airport) when you enter. Be prepared to present:

  • Your college acceptance letter
  • Passport and an additional form of photo ID
  • Proof of sufficient funds for one year (approximately $18,800 CAD, depending on your program). Proof of funds can be demonstrated by a bank cheque [not a personal cheque] or statement, Prairie College account receipt, or a letter from your sponsor on official letterhead stationery. Canadian Immigration charges $150.00 (subject to change) for Student Authorization documents at the border.

The application includes a section to submit your personal Christian testimony and requires the submission of a spiritual reference. Your reference should be a Christian friend or mentor who is 21 years of age or older. References can be completed through the online application form, or submitted on the online Reference Form.

Application Timeline

If you are a citizen of a country other than the United States or Canada, you should begin the application process several months before the semester you plan to enroll in. We suggest the following dates for application: before May 1 for the Fall Semester and before September 1 for the Winter Semester.

Application Fees

All international students must submit an application fee of $100 before an application will be reviewed. 

Student Services & Fees

All student services are available to international students on the same basis as for Canadian students. 

If you’d like to contact someone in person, please call 1.800.661.2425, or email

Basic Entrance Requirements for International Students

1. A spiritual reference (a pastor, spiritual mentor, or mature Christian friend 21 years of age or older) must be submitted as a part of the application. These can be completed directly from the international application form.

2. Academic transcripts must also be submitted to provide a record of any previous secondary (high school) or post-secondary studies. International student transcripts will be evaluated on an individual basis to determine equivalency to the Alberta High School requirements.

As a part of the international application process, we must receive official documents before an admission decision can be made. Please note that in order for transcripts to be considered Official, original hard copies must be sent directly from the administering institution or government in a sealed envelope. Copies sent personally by the applicant are considered Unofficial.


Acceptance & Immigration Information

1. Once we have received your completed application, the Admissions Committee will review your file and notify you of their decision. This usually takes 1-2 weeks from the day your application was completed.

2. If you are accepted, you will need to obtain a study permit (student visa) from a Canadian Consulate or Embassy. In order to do this you will need the following:

  • Proof of citizenship: Passport
  • Proof of sufficient funds for one year. Proof of funds can be demonstrated by a bank cheque [not a personal cheque] or statement, Prairie College account receipt, or a letter from your sponsor on official letterhead stationery.
  • Proof of return transportation: Canadian officials may require that you have proof of return transportation to your home country upon completion of your studies.

Please note that application to Prairie does not guarantee acceptance, nor does admission to Prairie guarantee that a student visa will be approved by Immigration Canada.

Health Insurance

All international students are required to have health coverage. In accordance with the Canada Health Act, Alberta has a publicly administered and funded health care system that guarantees Albertans receive universal access to medically necessary hospital and health care services. All International students who have obtained a student visa for longer than one year will have access to this free Alberta Health Care Service and will register during Orientation Week. All international students who have a student visa for less than one year will need to purchase health insurance. For more information, contact Student Financial Services or visit the link to Alberta Health listed below.

Important Links

Canadian Consulate

Immigration Canada

Alberta Health

English Language Proficiency Requirements

International students must submit proof of English proficiency by completing one of the following:

  • In light of the Covid-19 pandemic we have introduced a new online exam. The Duolingo English Test is taken via a computer with a camera and includes a proficiency score, video interview, and writing sample which are shared directly with us when you send your results. Certified results are available within 48 hours of the test session. Applicants need to achieve a minimum score of 110 on the exam. 
  • Recommended: The academic level International English Language Testing Service (IELTS) exam with an overall band score of 6.5, with no band scores less than 6.0.
  • The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with a minimum score of 90 on the internet based test with a minimum score of 21 points in each section.
  • Cambridge C1 Advanced (Certificate in Advanced English) or Cambridge C2 Proficiency (Certificate of Proficiency in English) with a score of at least 180.

Test scores must be valid and verifiable, and results must be issued directly from the testing office. Photocopies will not be accepted. Scores more than two years old will NOT be accepted. If you have completed an English Language Proficiency exam that is not one of the exams listed above, please contact the admissions department.

Note: Meeting these test scores does not guarantee admission to the college and additional testing may be required before admittance is granted.

Prairie College welcomes transfer students who have previously attended University, College and Bible College.

You may apply to receive transfer credit for courses completed at other post-secondary institutions. Courses can be transferred if they are comparable to ones in our curriculum and you earned a grade of C or better. Your transcripts will be evaluated once you have applied for study at Prairie College. Official transcripts (sent directly by the administering institution or government) can be forwarded to the following address:

Admissions Office
PO Box 4000
Three Hills AB T0M 2N0

Unofficial transcripts (personal copies in your possession) may be sent to the following email address:

Prairie welcomes applications from home-based learners. Homeschool students who have completed non-standardized curriculum should present the following for admission:

  • A Homeschool Transcript showing grade 10, 11, and 12 coursework.

  • One of the following options: 

    • A minimum SAT score of 900
    • A minimum ACT score of 20
    • A minimum CLT score of 60
    • A GED
    • A passing final grade of at least 60% in English 30-1 or English 30-2 or the equivalent.
    • A passing final grade of at least 60% in one Prairie College course, or a passing final grade of at least 60% at another accredited college or university course.
    • A portfolio including 8-10 pieces of writing from your grade 12 studies. The portfolio will be evaluated by our Student Success team. If the portfolio does not display readiness for College level studies, you may be asked to submit one of the above options. 


Please note that students who are applying for the Licensed Practical Nurse program will need to meet the admissions requirements of our partner institution.

Through our Assessment Program for Prior Learning Experience (APPLE), we may grant college credit for learning you have done outside the classroom.

To learn more about our APPLE program, please consult the Prairie College Academic Guide on the Registrar’s Office page. If registered in a Prairie College certificate or degree program, students may be exempted from selected courses through challenge exams. For more information on exemptions, please contact the Registrar’s Office.

American students are permitted by Canadian law to work on our campus during their time of studies.

If you (or your spouse) would like to seek employment on our campus during your stay at Prairie, you will need to notify the Canadian Immigration Officers at the border. Please make sure that when obtaining your Student Authorization, you make mention of your desire to work on campus. If you have any questions concerning this process contact the Admissions Office at 1.800.661.2425.

If you would like more information, please also visit our FAQ section.

We’re excited that you are interested in taking your next educational journey with us!